FORT PIERCE – St. Lucie County’s pilot program with the Wrap Recycling Action Program (WRAP) has been such a success that the WRAP campaign has now expanded to a permanent program.
Through partnerships with the WRAP Campaign, Keep Port St. Lucie Beautiful and several other Florida entities, St. Lucie County now has eight locations for residents to drop off plastic bags, plastic wrap and film recycling. The purpose of this program is to keep plastic bags and wraps out of the environment and out of single-stream recycling carts, to ensure plastic bags and wraps are properly recycled, and to provide residents more options to properly dispose of plastic bags and wraps.
Plastic bags can be recycled if taken to local grocery retailers or one of our eight drop-off locations. And of course, you can avoid them altogether by switching to reusable bags.
Please recycle only clean, dry plastic bags and film. Remove receipts or any other items from bags.
Items that are accepted at the WRAP sites include:
· Plastic shopping bags
· Bread bags
· Bubble wrap
· Clear product wrap such as the wrapping around paper towels or paper plates
· Dry cleaning wraps
· Produce bags
· Drink case wraps
· Pallet and stretch wraps
· Newspaper bags
A good rule of thumb is if you can poke your finger through the plastic with little effort, it is recyclable at our drop-off locations.
Items that are NOT accepted at the WRAP sites include:
· Six-pack rings
· Frozen food bags
· Pet food bags
· Chip or snack bags
· Cereal bags
· Mesh bags
St. Lucie County’s WRAP locations are:
· St. Lucie County Solid Waste Baling and Recycling Facility, 6120 Glades Cut-Off Road, Fort Pierce
· FAU’s Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute’s Discovery Visitor’s Center, 5600 US 1, Fort Pierce
· The Port St. Lucie Community Center, 2195 SE Airoso Blvd., Port St. Lucie
· Morningside Branch Library, 2410 SE Morningside Blvd., Port St. Lucie
· Manatee Observation and Education Center, 480 N Indian River Drive, Fort Pierce
· Port St. Lucie Civic Center (Parking Garage), 9221 SE Civic Center Place, Port St. Lucie
· Paula A Lewis Branch Library, 2950 SW Rosser Blvd., Port St. Lucie
· Zora Neale Hurston Branch Library, 3008 Ave. D, Fort Pierce
Other Florida counties and agencies participating in this program include: Indian River; Leon; Orange; Palm Beach; Seminole; Emerald Coast Utilities Authority; Florida Recycles; Waste Management; the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the City of Alachua